The Right Way to Make Fried Chicken


When I was growing up almost every Sunday my Mom made fried chicken for dinner.  Thus began my love for fried chicken... or fried anything for that matter- except okra, even fried that stuff is sick!  I've had many, and I mean many, trial & error runs with frying chicken.  So today I thought I would share with you the right way (a.k.a My Way) of frying chicken, & technically this is called "Pan Fried Chicken".  

First either buy a fryer already cut up or cut up a whole chicken yourself.  Just make sure the skin stays on.  You could do this without the skin, but remember I'm showing you the "right" way.  I like to brine my chicken for the whole day before I cook it.  Makes it so moist & yummy.  Just plop your chicken into some salt water, cover with plastic wrap & set in the fridge until your ready to cook.  (If you're in a hurry & need to skip this step just lightly salt both sides of the chicken before coating & cooking it.)  

Now pull your chicken out of the brine & pat it dry with paper towels.  In a shallow dish mix flour, salt, pepper, & garlic powder.  Amounts will vary on how much chicken your making (parts: 2 cups flour, 1 Tbls salt, 2 tsp pepper, 2 tsp garlic powder).  In another shallow dish beat 3 eggs &1/4 cup half & half.  Now for the fun part, you're gonna get messy...

Coat the chicken in the flour mixture.
Then coat it in the egg mixture.
Now back to the flour mixture for a final coating.
Set it in a pan with about one inch of hot oil (make sure the oil is preheated & ready to go, or you'll have soggy chicken).  Cook over medium heat.
 
Turn chicken over when it looks like this or about 8 minutes & cook other side until brown.

Now enjoy the crispy, salty, moist chicken you deserve!

5 comments:

  1. I am going to make this this week...so, since I am kinda this way...how much salt do you use to how much water....
    Thanks
    C~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guesstimate. But I would suggest about 4 quarts of water to 1/8 cup salt. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jess....off to do this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We tried it tonight and it was yum-my! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice and clear instructions. I used to do fried chickens the JD style but now I know that there is indeed a much better way.

    Jonathan (water heater replacement)

    ReplyDelete