Iced Coffee

I'm not a big hot coffee drinker.  After a nice dinner I will drink a cup with some amazingly chocolaty dessert.  But other than that I like my coffee iced.  Even in the dead of winter when it twenty below I will pull up to the coffee cart & ask for an iced mocha.  They look at me like I'm crazy.  To which I respond "Honey, you don't even know crazy!"  Okay, I don't really say that, but I think it.

Back on track.  I've learned over the last year how to make my own iced coffee that I love.  I also love how much cheaper it is than buying espresso & how I don't have to get out of my pjs to get one.  Here are my steps:
*First you need to cold brew some java.  I like to use the Toddy Cold Brew System.  Not too expensive & works like a dream.  But if you don't have a Toddy you can also add a half pound of your favorite coffee (dark roast recommended) to 1 gallon of water.  Giver 'er a good stir & then cover & let sit (brew) for eight hours or so.  Strain through a few layers of cheesecloth & a colander.  Now that you have your coffee concentrate prepared stick it in the fridge until it is very chilled (no one likes lukewarm iced coffee).
* Now, find yourself a glass.  I like to throw in one tablespoon of chocolate sauce.  Then add the coffee concentrate a little below half full (about 3 ounces).  Mix the chocolate & coffee together.  Add ice cold half & half almost to top (about 8 ounces).  Give a good stir, your almost done.
 
* Here's my secret ingredient: coffee ice cubes.  Whenever there is a bit of coffee left in the pot, instead of pouring it out I put it in ice cube trays & freeze it.  Then I add the coffee ice cubes to my ice coffee.  It keeps the flavor real & doesn't water my iced coffee down.  Don't use coffee concentrate for the ice cubes, that would be over powering.  Just stick to the drip coffee for the cubes.  If you don't have coffee ice cubes on had just use regular ice.  Fill the glass the rest of the way up with ice so your coffee is freezing cold.
*Now you're ready to sit back & sip away.  I suggest using a straw, it just makes it that much better.  Enjoy.

Iced coffee is a great drink to serve at parties & BBQs as well.  To make an entire pitcher just stick to the same quantities- a little less than 1/2 a pitcher of coffee concentrate, rest of the way with half & half & then ice to top it off.  Add flavor (like chocolate) as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment